Frequently Asked Questions

1. How can I get information concerning my EMS bill?

  • Starting on October 1, 2013 to current, call AMR Billing at (678) 537-6856 From July 6, 2010 to September 30, 2013, call AMR Billing at (678) 537-6856; Rural Metro Billing at (678) 473-1990, ext. 2267; or DCFR: (800) 782-9176 Prior to July, 2010, call DCFR at (800) 782-9176

2. How do I get a fire/police report?

  • To obtain a fire or police report, you need to call (770) 724-7740. The reports office is located at 1960 West Exchange Place, Tucker, Georgia on the 2 nd floor. The office is open from 8:30 a.m.- 5:00 p.m.

3. How do you get a burn permit in DeKalb County?

4. I scheduled an inspection, when will it be completed?

  • If you scheduled your our inspection by before 3:30 p.m., your inspection will be done between 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. the following business day. If you scheduled your inspection after 3:30 p.m., your inspection will be done in two business days between the hours of 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.

5. Can I have an inspector come out and inspect my home?

  • Inspectors with the DeKalb County Fire Marshals Office DO NOT have jurisdiction in residential homes. Inspectors are available for commercial locations only (i.e. schools, hotels, restaurants, businesses, etc.)

6. I submitted a plan for review. When will it be completed?

  • The turnaround time varies according to the size of the plan that is submitted to DeKalb County Fire Rescue for review. If you have questions concerning your plans, please contact (404) 371-4457.

7. Does the Fire Department offer CPR classes?

  • We do not offer CPR classes. Please contact your local Red Cross to get information on how to enroll in CPR classes.

8. What are the ordinances about open burning in DeKalb County?

9. My animal is stuck in the tree.
Will the fire department come get it out?

  • No. Try leaving some food or milk at the bottom of the tree and wait for the animal to get down on its own. For other animals or insects contact your local exterminator.

10.Can I go to the fire station to get my blood pressure checked?

  • Yes. Please stop by your nearest local fire station to have your blood pressure checked.

11. How do I refer someone for the Juvenile Fire Setters (JFS) program?

  • Contact the Public Education Unit at (770) 414-2124. The JFS classes are held on an as needed basis. Both the parents and children must attend.

12. What public education programs are offered?

  • The Public Education Department offers various programs to promote fire safety and injury prevention education such as:
    • Business and Merchant Fire Safety
    • Juvenile Firesetters
    • Senior Fire Safety
    • Elderly Abuse
    • GhostOut ®

13. How do I schedule a fire truck or station visit?

  • Submit requests to the Public Education reservation specialist at to schedule a public education specialist or firefighters to participate in your program. Requets should be submitted at least two (2) weeks prior to the date of the event to ensure that DCFR can schedule personnel to attend. Please be sure to include the following information so that we can efficiently process your request:
    • Date the event will occur.
    • Time the event will begin and end. In the case of longer events please list any specific times you are requesting DCFR personnel to be present.
    • Street address and name of the location where the event will be held.
    • The name and best phone number for the  primary point of contact for the event. This should be the person who will be able to coordinate with DCFR regarding any questions prior to or the day of the event.
    • The number of expected attendees at the event.
    • Any special requests or important details you would like us to know about your event.

14. Can I schedule the fire truck to come to my home for a birthday party?

  • No. We do not schedule birthday parties. You may schedule a station visit before or after your party if you would like. Please make note that birthday parties can not be held at the fire station and no food (including birthday cakes) or drinks can be brought to the station.

15. How do I dispose of hazardous materials?

  • For general information on chemical disposal, please contact (800) 262-8200. 

16. How do I become a firefighter?

  • For more information, please email our recruiter at You can also visit the DeKalb County website at, look for the job opportunities link and sign up to receive an email when we are taking applications for new firefighters.

17.How do I get my child involved in the DeKalb County Explorer's program?

  • Contact the Youth Development Administrator at (678) 406-7759, for young men and women who are interested in a career in the field in the fire service. Send an email to For more information about DeKalb County Fire Rescues Youth Development programs please visit the Youth Development page on our website.

18. For insurance purposes, I need to know my closest fire station and fire hydrant. How do I find this information?

  • Generally speaking, your closest fire station is within five road miles and your nearest hydrant is within 300-500 feet. You can also locate which DeKalb County Fire Rescue fire stations are in your area by taking our Fire Station and Facility Tour

19. My fire hydrant is leaking. Who do I call?

  • The DeKalb County Department of Watershed Management is responsible for fixing leaking fire hydrants. Please contact the Department of Watershed Management at (770) 621-7230.

20. I suspect someone of committing Arson.
Who do I contact?

  • The DeKalb County Arson Hotline is (678) 406-7777.

21. How do I obtain open records information?

  • Open Records Act Requests can be submitted by any of the following methods:
    • Emailed to
    • Submitted through our "Contact Us" menu option here
    • By phone at 678-406-7755
    • Delivered in person 

22. How do I report environmental issues?

  • Hazardous spills, storage tanks, environmental issues should be submitted to the State Fire Marshal's Office at (404) 656-0697, Hazmat Section.

23. How can I report fire code violations?

  • Fire code violations should be submitted to the DeKalb County Fire Marshal's Office at