10 Steps to Home Security
by Target Hardening
- Illuminate areas outside the home that could be used as a hiding place (high shrubs, extended eaves, etc). Lighting around the perimeter of the home can be a better deterrent when connected to a motion sensor.
- Shrubbery should be trimmed away from windows and doors to allow a clear line of vision. Overgrown shrubs can provide criminals a hiding place.
- Exterior doors of solid construction, secure frames and good locks should be used. Install deadbolt locks with a 1 to 1-½” throw; check the strike plates and use screws 2 to 3” long to reach into the framework to strengthen the deadbolt lock. Sliding glass doors can be secured with a “Charlie Bar” and manufacturer’s locks should be upgraded.
- High ticket items (i.e. flat screen tv’s, electronics, etc.) should not be visible from outside of the home; use window treatments such as curtains or blinds.
- Use large, 2 ½ to 3”, reflective numbers on both sides of the mailbox; this expedites the arrival of emergency personnel to the residence.
- Windows that are close to the ground should be secured with updated locking mechanisms (turn locks, guild locks, dowels, pins, security film); do not leave fans and unsecured air conditioning units in windows when away from home.
- Remove any items that could assist criminals in entering the home (i.e. ladders, loose bricks/rocks, chairs and umbrellas).
- Keep a constant appearance of occupancy; utilize timers on interior lights televisions and radios.
- Keep inventory of valued items in the home; record serial and model numbers of electronics, computers and game systems. Items without serial numbers should be photographed and stored in a unassuming safe place (jewelry, paintings, coins, etc.).
- Work with or start a Neighborhood Watch to further secure your community.
NOTE: All items mentioned should be researched and demonstrated at your local hardware store.
Provided by: DeKalb County Police Department to Promote Crime Prevention.
PRECINCT PUBLIC EDUCATION SPECIALISTS
|North Central Precinct|
"You look out for me and I'll look out for you..."