Probate Court of DeKalb County
Marriage License Information
Location for marriage licenses: DeKalb County Courthouse, B190 Judicial Tower, (basement floor) Hours of Operation (excluding holidays): Monday-Friday, 8:30 AM-4:00 PM
Location for marriage records (copies of marriage certificates, licenses, and applications): DeKalb County Courthouse, 1100 Judicial Tower (first floor) Hours of Operation (excluding holidays): Monday-Friday, 8:30 AM-5:00 PM
- Georgia residents may apply for a marriage license in any county in Georgia.
- If neither applicant is a resident of Georgia, the marriage license must be obtained in the county where the ceremony is going to be performed.
- The marriage license is valid only for ceremonies performed in Georgia.
- Premarital blood tests are no longer required in Georgia.
Requirements for Marriage License
- Both applicants must be present in order to obtain a marriage license.
- You must provide proof of age. Documents that are accepted include, but are not limited to, a valid driver’s license, original or certified copy of birth certificate, valid passport, or valid armed forces identification card. See O.C.G.A. § 19-3-36 for more information.
- You must be at least 16 years of age to obtain a marriage license. If you are 16 or 17 years of age, parental consent is required. See O.C.G.A. § 19-3-37 for more information.
- If either applicant has been divorced, you must present a final, stamped, sealed certified divorce decree(s).
- If either applicant was previously married and the spouse died, you must present proof of death such as a death certificate or an obituary.
- If either applicant presents a legal document in a language other than English, the applicant must attach a translation of the document by a certified translator.
Fees for Marriage License
EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY - DEKALB COUNTY PROBATE COURT DOES NOT ACCEPT BILLS LARGER THAN A $20.
- Without Certificate of Premarital Education
- The fee is $66.00 (includes one certified copy of marriage certificate).
- With Certificate of Premarital Education
- The fee is $26.00 (includes one certified copy of marriage certificate).
- A signed and dated certificate of completion from a qualifying premarital education program with at least six hours of instruction must be provided.
- Certificate of Completion of Qualifying Premarital Education form is available on the DeKalb County Probate Court website.
- See O.C.G.A. § 19-3-30.1 for more information about premarital education.
- Forms of Payment
- Cash, money orders, Visa, MasterCard, or Discover accepted. If you pay via card, a processing fee will be charged separately.
- Certified checks and money orders should be made payable to DeKalb County Probate Court.
- The court does not accept personal checks.
- All fees are nonrefundable.
- The fee for a certified copy of a marriage certificate is $10.00.
- The fee for a certified copy of a marriage license is $10.00
- The fee for a certified copy of a marriage license application is $10.00.
- You can request certified copies online, in person or by mail to the following address:
- Probate Court of DeKalb County
- 556 North McDonough Street
- B190 Judicial Tower
- Decatur, Georgia 30030
- DeKalb County Magistrate Court conducts wedding ceremonies at specified times. See www.dekalbcountymagistratecourt.com for more information.
- The marriage license does not have an expiration date..