Event Calendar


DeKalb County will lift its five-year-old water service disconnection moratorium

for residential water accounts on Sept. 1, 2021.

Residential water service customers may avoid service disconnection in one of four ways, by:

  • Paying the past due balance in full by Aug. 31, 2021. Customers who opt to pay the past due balance in full may request a credit of up to one year of late fees by emailing dekalbwaterbillingfn@dekalbcountyga.gov.
  • Requesting an Installment Payment Agreement online at www.dekalbcountyga.gov/installment, or by calling Customer Service at (404) 378-4475, or by returning the form customers received via mail. Installment plan agreements are available with a maximum term of 84 months and minimum payments of $25 per month plus current charges.
  • Requesting a COVID-19 Hardship Installment Plan if they are unable to pay their balance in full because of a financial hardship related to COVID-19. This plan can be requested at  www.dekalbcountyga.gov/hardship.
  • Disputing their bill. DeKalb County encourages all residents with unresolved water billing concerns to file a dispute by contacting DeKalb County Water Billing at 404-378-4475 or dekalbwaterbillingfn@dekalbcountyga.gov. Disputes will be addressed in the order they are received.


For customers who have requested an Installment Plan Agreement, COVID-19 Hardship Plan or dispute,

water service will not be disconnected.


The County issued this moratorium in 2016 to address metering and billing issues. CEO Michael Thurmond launched the New Day Project in January 2017 to address systemic deficits in leadership, management, and oversight. Key accomplishments include:

  • Monthly disputes have been reduced from over 4,000 to less than 200 (<0.1%).
  • Over 82,000 meters have been replaced, including 100% of the pre-2014 iPerl meters.
  • Over 134,000 meters, or 70% of all customers, now have transmitters for electronic usage reporting, including hourly consumption.
  • Additional staff have been hired and customized training programs have been implemented throughout customer service and field services.
  • The detail of these accomplishments may be reviewed at HERE.