The application cycle for the Spring 2024 semester is now closed.
Please check back in March for Summer 2024 opportunities.
Forensic Science Internship at the DeKalb County Medical Examiner's Office
- Internship Requirements
- Able to commit to three days per week between 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.
- Must complete a minimum of 200 hours over a 12-week period to qualify for course credit.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.25 or higher.
- Background check and drug screen may be required.
- Proof of Professional Liability Insurance is required.
- Applicant Criteria
- Candidates should be seeking a Master of Biology Medical Sciences at Georgia State University.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, a positive attitude, and a strong work ethic.
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion and professionalism.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google Docs.
- Knowledge of human anatomy and dissection.
- Internship Objectives
- Gain an understanding of forensic pathology.
- Observe and assist in medicolegal autopsies under the direct supervision of a forensic pathologist, pathologists' assistant and technician.
- Attain a broad understanding of interdisciplinary approaches related to forensic medicine, including (but not limited to): histology, forensic anthropology, the criminal justice system, and the coroner system.
- Attend death scenes with medicolegal death investigators, weekly didactic lectures, and daily doctors’ meetings.
- Understand the statutory basis for medicolegal death investigation systems and the requirements to serve as a medical examiner or coroner (GA Code: 45-16-20).
- Engage with data entry, tracking, filing, and modeling to demonstrate the impact of specific causes of death.
- Provide quality assurance to maximize the effectiveness of the medicolegal death investigation case management system.
- Collection and documentation of trace evidence on non-criminal cases.
- How to Apply