The application cycle for the Spring 2024 semester is now closed.
Please check back in January for Summer 2024 opportunities.
Criminal Justice Internship at DeKalb County Medical Examiner's Office
- Internship Requirements
- Able to commit a minimum of two days per week between 8:30 AM to 3:30 PM.
- Must complete a minimum of 160 field placement hours in equal weekly increments.
- Cumulative GPA of 2.7 or higher.
- A background check and drug screen will be required.
- Proof of Professional Liability Insurance is required.
- Applicant Criteria
- Candidates should be seeking a Criminal Justice and Criminology degree, or a related field.
- Candidates must be in the final semester of their undergraduate studies.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, a positive and open-minded attitude, and a strong work ethic.
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion and professionalism.
- Demonstrate critical thinking, oral, and written communication skills.
- Internship Objectives
- Explore investigative practices and procedures within DeKalb County Public Safety as they relate to the Medical Examiner's Office.
- Gain an understanding of criminal and civil litigation and their differences.
- Understand the statutory basis for the medicolegal death investigation systems and the requirements to serve as medical examiner or coroner (GA Code: 45-16-20).
- Learn the importance of professional interaction with families and the public.
- Aid investigators with scenes and evidence processing on cases.
- Assist investigators with completing reports, issuing subpoenas, and decedent information.
- Provide quality assurance to maximize the effectiveness of the medicolegal death investigation case management system.
- Observe and assist in medicolegal autopsies.
- How to Apply
- Complete and email the internship application along with a current curriculum vitae, unofficial transcript, and cover letter, including both a brief explanation of why the student is interested in the internship program and express their background in criminal justice and career aspirations to Lauren Bucci at email@example.com and Julio Alicea at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The duration of the Fall 2023 Criminal Justice internship is from August 15 to November 30, 2023.
- The application period for this cycle will open on June 26, 2023.