DeKalb County Government is partnering with local faith leaders to distribute 5,000 boxes of 100 percent Georgia-grown fruits and vegetables, eggs, and chicken hindquarters on Saturday, Aug. 27.
Residents will receive about $45 worth of food on a first-come, first-served basis.
“Hardworking families are struggling to keep food on the table because food prices have increased every month this year and are now 12 percent higher than last summer,” DeKalb County CEO Michael Thurmond said. “DeKalb County and our faith partners are working to lessen the impact of these rising prices.”
On Saturday, Aug. 27, beginning at 9 a.m., food distributions will be held at the following locations:
- Plaza Fiesta, 4166 Buford Highway NE, Atlanta, GA 30345
- Berean Christian Church, 2201 Young Road, Stone Mountain, GA 30088
- Beulah Missionary Baptist Church, 2340 Clifton Springs Rd., Decatur, GA 30034
- Big Miller Grove Missionary Baptist Church, 3800 Big Miller Grove Way, Stonecrest, GA 30038
- The Covenant Church, 1700 Corey Blvd., Decatur, GA 30032
- New Birth Missionary Baptist Church, 6400 Woodrow Road, Stonecrest, GA 30038
- Saint Phillip AME, 240 Candler Rd. SE, Atlanta, GA 30317
- Shy Temple CME Church, 2030 Wesley Chapel Road, Decatur, GA 30035
The county is utilizing federal American Rescue Plan funds to purchase the produce and chicken.
Since May 2020, DeKalb County has distributed 85,000 boxes of food.