DeKalb County Government is honoring the victims of the Sept. 11, 2001, attack by partnering with local faith leaders to distribute 4,100 boxes of produce and chicken on Friday, Sept. 10, and Saturday, Sept. 11.
“By serving our neighbors threatened by food insecurity, we are honoring the memory of those brave men and women who lost their lives on 9/11,” DeKalb CEO Michael Thurmond said.
On Saturday, Sept. 11, at 10 a.m., food distributions will be held at the following locations:
- Berean Christian Church, 2201 Young Road, Stone Mountain, GA 30088
- Big Miller Grove Missionary Baptist Church, 3800 Big Miller Grove Way, Stonecrest, GA 30038
- New Birth Missionary Baptist Church, 6400 Woodrow Road, Stonecrest GA 30038
- Rehoboth Baptist Church, 2997 Lawrenceville Hwy., Tucker, GA 30084
- Southwest DeKalb High School, 2863 Kelley Chapel Rd., Decatur, GA 30034
Also, on Friday, Sept. 10, at 10 a.m., Saint Philip AME Church, 240 Candler Road SE, Atlanta, GA 30317, will hold its food distribution.
The county is utilizing federal American Rescue Plan funding to purchase the produce.