DeKalb County's free Junior Ranger programs are designed for ages 5-12, but are open to anyone interested in learning about and protecting nature.
Did you know?
- DeKalb County has two Junior Ranger programs: one county-wide Junior Ranger program and one Junior Ranger program at the Davidson-Arabia Mountain Nature Preserve Nature Center located in the Arabia Mountain National Heritage Area.
- Click here to learn more about the Arabia Junior Ranger program.
- See below for more information about how to participate in our DeKalb County Junior Ranger program.
Who can participate?
- The DeKalb County Junior Ranger program is open to all youth, free of charge. The activities are designed for ages 5-12.
How do I become a DeKalb County Junior Ranger?
- Complete all twelve activities in the Junior Ranger Activity Journal.
- Activities included in the program are independent and self-paced and include scavenger hunts, leaf rubbings, bird watching, and helping recycle trash found in the woods.
- You can complete the Junior Ranger activities at any DeKalb County Park, another local greenspace, or even your backyard.
- When you are finished, contact a Park Naturalist to take the Junior Ranger Pledge and receive your official Junior Ranger Badge.
Where can I get a Junior Ranger Activity Journal?
- Download a digital copy of the Activity Journal here.
- Pick up a copy from a participating DeKalb County Recreation Center between 10:00 am - 2:00 pm, Monday - Friday:
- Mason Mill (1340 McConnell Drive, Decatur, GA 30033; 404-679-1349)
- Exchange (2771 Columbia Drive, Decatur, GA 30034; 404-687-3430)
- Gresham (3113 Gresham Road, Atlanta, GA 30316; 404-244-4890)
- Hamilton (3263 Chapel Street, Scottdale, GA 30079; 404-508-7565)
- Midway (3181 Midway Road, Decatur, GA 30032; 404-294-3150)
- Redan (1839 Phillips Road, Lithonia, GA 30058; 770-492-5434)
- Tobie Grant (644 Parkdale Drive, Scottdale, GA 30079; 404-508-7594)
You can also pick up Junior Ranger Activity Journals from the Nature Center at Davidson-Arabia Mountain Nature Preserve (3787 Klondike Road, Stonecrest, GA 30038; 770-484-3060) when Rangers are present.
Where can I find answers to my questions about the Junior Ranger activities?
- Watch Ranger Jonah's video tutorials
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any further questions.