DECATUR, Ga. – The DeKalb County Roads and Drainage Division provides general flood plain information free of charge to county residents. The county participates in the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s National Flood Insurance Program “Community Rating System” and offers residents information about flood hazards, prevention and mitigation.
Information and services offered to county residents include:
• Flood zone determination and information concerning the Flood Insurance Rate Map
• Higher hazard flood areas such as floodways and high velocity zones
• Flood depths around structures and on land
• Other flood problems that cannot be provided on the Flood Insurance Rate Map
• Historical flood information and previous Flood Insurance Rate Maps
• Copies of elevation certificates that are on file
• Structure flood-proofing techniques
• Publications concerning flood hazards and damage reduction techniques
• On-site visits by an engineer experienced in floodplain matters
The current Flood Insurance Rate Map and additional floodplain related information can be viewed online at www.dekalbcountyga.gov/roads-drainage/floodplain-management-0.
DeKalb County is updating its database listing of all structures within the special flood hazard area. Included in this database are elevation certificates, base flood elevations and estimated flood depths.
For more information, contact the DeKalb County Roads and Drainage Department at 404-294-2878 or visit the office at 727 Camp Road, Decatur, GA.