DeKalb County Government is partnering with the DeKalb County School District and local faith leaders to distribute 5,000 bookbags filled with school supplies along with fresh produce, chicken and lunch box snacks on Saturday, July 30.
DeKalb County and its partners will distribute:
- 5,000 clear bookbags filled with a pack of 12 pencils, a pack of 12 pens, a ruler, a pack of 24 crayons, a composition notebook, a three-subject notebook, notebook filler paper, a pack of three erasers, a flash drive and a calculator.
- 5,000 boxes of 100 percent Georgia-grown fruits and vegetables, eggs, and chicken hindquarters.
- Lunch box snacks of cereal, cookies and juices.
“We are pleased to partner with the DeKalb County School District and our faith community to help parents prepare to send their children back to school,” DeKalb County CEO Michael Thurmond said.
On Saturday, July 30, beginning at 9 a.m., the school supplies and food distributions will be held at the following locations:
- Berean Christian Church, 2201 Young Road, Stone Mountain, GA 30088
- Beulah Missionary Baptist Church, 2340 Clifton Springs Rd., Decatur, GA 30034
- Big Miller Grove Missionary Baptist Church, 3800 Big Miller Grove Way, Stonecrest, GA 30038
- The Covenant Church, 1700 Corey Blvd., Decatur, GA 30032
- Rehoboth Baptist Church, 2997 Lawrenceville Highway, Tucker GA 30084
- Saint Phillip A.M.E., 240 Candler Road SE, Atlanta, Ga. 30317
- Shy Temple CME Church, 2030 Wesley Chapel Road, Decatur, GA 30035
The county is utilizing federal American Rescue Plan funds to purchase the produce and chicken.
Since May 2020, DeKalb County has distributed more than 80,000 boxes of food.