Did you know you may qualify for occupational training through the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA)?
Occupational training is available for individuals who need to enhance their skills and become more marketable in the workforce.
In order to qualify for occupational training individuals will need to meet WIOA eligibility & requirements for their field of study, therefore approval for the training is not guaranteed. The field of study must be an in-demand occupation and on the WorkSource-DeKalb WorkSourceMetroAtlanta_DemandOccpList.pdf of an approved programs of study on the Eligible Training Provider List (ETPL).
A career adviser may suggest services including resume writing classes, interviewing classes, job search techniques, financial literacy, basic math and reading skills or other job readiness services. These services are to help determine training suitable for an individual in their field of employment.
The process for applying for occupational training includes the following steps and may take up to 10 business days or more. If the application is incomplete it will delay the submission process.
- Attend a mandatory WIOA Training Eligibility Information Session to learn about the application process. Information Sessions will be held Thursdays, at 10:00am, except for county -- observed holidays.
- Please arrive 15 to 20 minutes early because of limited parking space. We encourage use of the MARTA, the Decatur and Avondale MARTA stations, located nearby.
During the Information Session, you will learn about WIOA eligibility, training requirements, available resources & assessments. You will also receive your Eligibility Intake Checklist 2018 Revised 11.15.18.pdf and be assigned a Career Counselor to further assist you with your application process and answer any additional training questions.
- After the session you will be expected to complete the steps from your Intake Checklist which include some of the following; Training Interest Questionnaire, Job Readiness Assessments, Work Ready Workshops, TABE Assessment, Program Registrations, etc. *The TABE Assessment will be scheduled by your Career Counselor and is administered in the WorkSource DeKalb Resource Center.
- Once all of your steps from the Intake Checklist have been completed, you will need to schedule an appointment with your assigned Career Counselor in order to return your completed ITA Application packet.
- During the first appointment with your assigned Career Counselor, it will be determined if your occupational training application is ready for submission. If the application packet is incomplete or missing supporting documentation, it will not be accepted.
- Determining eligibility for occupational training will occur after the application has been submitted. Your Career Counselor may contact you for additional supporting documentation or questions about information provided on the application. Your Career Counselor will review your application for approval or return your file to you if you do not meet the eligibility requirements.
- Once your occupational training application has been approved your Career Counselor will contact you to set an appointment to discuss your responsibilities while in training and may ask you to sign additional documents.
If you have additional questions regarding the WIOA Training Information Session, please feel free to call our office at (404) 687-3400 for more information.