Announcing a VIRTUAL JOB INFORMATION RESOURCE for DeKalb’s Youth
As you know, we received an enormous response to our outreach for youth to participate in the 2019 Summer Youth Employment program made possible by CEO Michael Thurmond and Dekalb County Commissioners. In fact, well over 2,700 applications were received!
As previously communicated, we regret you were not able to participate this year, but we remain committed and interested in assisting you as your local workforce agency. Therefore, we are happy to announce our development of a VIRTUAL JOB INFORMATION RESOURCE to inform you of employment and volunteer opportunities you may wish to pursue to gain valuable career enhancement experience this summer.
What is a Virtual Job Information Resource?
Virtual job information resource is an online, cyber listing of jobs, employment, and volunteer opportunities available for youth users to access and pursue to meet some great employers and hopefully make an employment and/or volunteer connection.
When will the Virtual Job Information Resource?
The Virtual Job Information Resource hosted by WorkSource DeKalb will be released on Monday, June 3, 2019, and continue through Friday, June 14, 2019. You can access the Virtual Job Information Resource via www.worksourcedekalb.org.
Why a Virtual Job Information Resource?
We wish all interested youth applicants were able to secure an internship through the DeKalb Works Summer Employment Program, but since that was not possible, we decided to creatively explore other ways to assist and support you. Therefore, a virtual job/resource listing allows youth to utilize their social networking skills to navigate and pursue identified employment and volunteer opportunities, with the assistance of parents or other support person, as desired.
What can I expect when I visit the Virtual Job Information Resource?
When you visit the Virtual Job Information Resource, you will see career and volunteer opportunities that employers have informed they are seeking to fill. Employment for younger youth is sometimes difficult to establish, but there are definitely employers who are interested in willing, capable, and reliable youth. When you visit the site, you may sometimes see numerous listing and other times, we may have limited opportunities. Some opportunities may only have the name, address and phone number of the business and others may have a contact person, if provided. Our commitment is to share all known information and resources with you, to aid in your employment/ volunteer search.
What should I do once I see an opportunity I am interested in?
Once you identify a job or volunteer opportunity, we suggest you discuss the opportunity with your parent or support person, to make sure you can get to the location to apply and ultimately report to work, if selected for the desired opportunity. Contact the potential employer to apply or discuss the identified opportunity. Follow the directives of the employer to follow-up on the opportunity, if interested. Be sure to put your best foot forth and present your best self when you call and visit employment or volunteer opportunities. Pay particular attention to your attire, timeliness, communication skills and attitude, as employers make decisions based upon your presentation of yourself.
What else do I need to know?
Remember, there is NO guarantee of a job or volunteer opportunity, just because it is listed. All jobs and volunteer opportunities are competitive, and employers have the right to make selections based upon their established criteria. Also, please note that volunteer opportunities are just that, voluntary, and no pay is involved, but importantly, critical career skills can be obtained; mentors can be secured for future reference/assistance; and the opportunity will assist in completing your community service requirements for high school graduation.
Finally, we encourage you to visit our website at www.worksourcedekalb.org for on-going information, resources and support of all your workforce development needs.
Thank you and best wishes on your future endeavors!
Potential Opportunities for DeKalb’s Youth
Note: Walk-In Wednesdays: 12 p.m. – 3 p.m. Address: 275 Riverside Parkway Southwest, Austell, GA 30168 Interested applicants should complete an online application (must be completed prior to your interview); Once you have completed your application, the SFOG employment center will reach out to you to schedule an interview. Questions? Email SFOGApplicantCenter@SFTP.com or call 770-739-3410
At Chick-fil-A, the team member role is more than just a job, it's an opportunity. In addition to working directly for an independent Operator, team members gain life experience that goes far beyond just serving a great product in a friendly environment. Chick-fil-A is a great opportunity for people of all ages and backgrounds, and no experience is necessary. Please consider visiting your local Chick-fil-A restaurant if you'd like to learn more about the team member experience.
FOOD SERVICE WORKER 1 -ATLANTA YDC (Full-time) GA-Fulton-College Park Organization: Juvenile Justice, Georgia Department of – DJJ Job Number: FOO00KP NOTES: You must be at least 18 years of age Application deadline is June 10, 2019 This position is subject to a background check which may include criminal and employment history, fingerprint, references and social media. Qualifications: High school diploma or GED.
Key in: Kroger Retail Clerk or General then Georgia for location
2875 N Decatur Rd, Decatur, GA 30033,
720 Commerce Dr, Decatur, GA 30030,
2385 Wesley Chapel Rd, Decatur, GA 30035
3479 Memorial Dr., Decatur, GA 30032
4919 Flat Shoals Pkwy, Decatur, GA 30034
6678 Covington Hwy, Lithonia, GA 30058
4357 Lawrenceville Hwy, Tucker, GA 30084
1227 Rockbridge Rd, Stone Mountain, GA 30087
Key in: Enter Zip Code or City, State
3870 N Druid Hills Rd, Decatur, GA, 30033
2155 N Decatur Rd, Decatur, GA, 30033
2969 N Druid Hills Rd NE, Atlanta, GA, 30329
2235 Glenwood Ave SE, Atlanta, GA, 30316
Key in: Enter Zip Code or City
Note locations: (Contact Directly)
2505 Blackmon Drive Suite 820
2566 Briarcliff Rd. NE Ste 106
Key In: Decatur GA – United States (the system will pull up the locations and job titles)
830 Commerce Drive Decatur, GA 30033
2077 N. Decatur Road Decatur, GA 3033
3490 Memorial Dr, Decatur, GA 30032 (404) 289-2386
4805 Flats Shoals Pkwy Decatur, GA 30034 (678) 518-0836
1152 S Hairston Rd Stone Mountain, GA 30088 (404) 299-3671
2316 Panola Rd Lithonia, GA 30058 (770) 323-7458
451 S Deshon Rd Lithonia, GA 30058 (770) 465-3595
- Burger King https://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=burger%20king&l=DeKalb%20County%2C%20GA&vjk=d650a87a3109417f
- Garden Hills | Pool Rat -https://ghppa.hrmdirect.com/employment/view.php?req=934055&jbsrc=1014
- Kroger - https://jobs.kroger.com/ Apply and contact the location of your choice and ask the Store manager to pull your application
- Chick-Fil- A - https://www.snagajob.com/search/w-decatur,+ga/q-chick+fil+a
- Six Flags - https://www.sixflags.com/jobs
- Buffalo Dallas Merchandise and Apparel
4611 Greer Cir.
Stone Mountain, GA 30083
Summer Volunteer Opportunities
- Open Hand Atlanta - We are passionate about building a healthier community. Through people-centered services and partnerships, we create access to healthy meals and nutrition education, empowering our clients and the community to achieve personal goals for health and wellness.
- Medshare - MedShare is a 501c(3) humanitarian aid organization dedicated to improving the quality of life of people, communities and our planet by sourcing and directly delivering surplus medical supplies and equipment to communities in need around the world.
- Live Creek Farm Conservancy - The Conservancy provides support to management for maintenance of the pastures at Little Creek. The Conservancy also assists with maintenance of the arenas, and routinely provides landscaping through special events. The Conservancy annually places Fly Predators in the pastures to control flies that cause diseases in horses. Through outreach The Conservancy provides community programs and field trips for children, seniors and special needs groups. The Conservancy also supports Stride Ahead in their Equine Assisted Therapy programs for adults and children.
- Kahn Academy – FREE Academic Courses Online https://www.khanacademy.org/
- CHOA, AHEC, Dekalb Medical – Southeastern Primary Care Consortium, Inc., Atlanta Area Health Education Center (SPCC Atlanta AHEC) is a nonprofit, regional health education organization. We are located in Atlanta, Georgia and serve Fulton, DeKalb and Clayton county communities with programs that provide a pipeline to develop healthcare professionals.
- Financial aid/scholarships/grants - https://www.gafutures.org
- Career self-assessments - https://www.monster.com/career-advice/article/best-free-career-assessment-tools
(minimum age 14)
(Minimum age 16)
Other Career Building/ Leadership Development Opportunities
The DeKalb County Department of Recreation, Parks and Cultural Affairs "Camp Superstars" summer camp registration is now open. Camp Superstars is open for youth ages 5-15 and will run June 3 to July 26 from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday. The camp fee is $66 per week, and breakfast and lunch are provided. Space is limited.
Youth will participate in field trips, swim lessons, arts and crafts, fun with nature, sports, health and wellness clinics, team games and more.
To access online registration, visit http://www.dekalbcountyga.gov/parks and click the “Register Online” button on the department’s homepage, or register in person at any of the locations listed below:
- Exchange Recreation Center, 2771 Columbia Drive, Decatur, GA 30034
- Gresham Recreation Center, 3113 Gresham Road, Atlanta, GA 30316
- Hamilton Recreation Center, 3263 Chapel Street, Scottdale, GA 30079
- Lucious Sanders Recreation Center, 2484 Bruce Street, Lithonia, GA 30058
- Mason Mill Recreation Center, 1340-B McConnell Drive, Decatur, GA 30033
- Midway Recreation Center, 3181 Midway Road, Decatur, GA 30032
- N.H. Scott Recreation Center, 2230 Tilson Road, Decatur, GA 30032
- Tobie Grant Recreation Center, 644 Parkdale Drive, Scottdale, GA 30079
For more information, contact LaShanda Davis, Recreation, Parks and Cultural Affairs public relations specialist, at 404-371-3643 or email@example.com.
The Office of Youth Services is currently accepting applicants for the 2019 DeKalb County Youth Commission. The Youth Commission is a leadership program that provides youth with opportunities to learn about the roles of county government, participate in civic and community activities, and represent the views of DeKalb County youth.
There are currently 18 vacancies on the DeKalb County Youth Commission.
The program is open to DeKalb County residents entering grades 10-12. The application deadline is Wednesday, July 17. To register, contact Jashawn Williams, youth services coordinator at (404) 687-7108 or firstname.lastname@example.org.