Permits, Taxi, Wrecker Unit

DeKalb County Police Department
Permits, Taxi, Wrecker Unit

3630 Camp Circle
Decatur, GA 30032   MAP
(404) 297-3934

Hours of Operation:

For Permits
Monday through Thursday
8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. and
1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
(last application is taken
at 3:45 p.m.)
Friday - Closed to the Public
Closed on Government Holidays

For Firearm/Gun Permits
Monday through Thursday
8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. and
1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Friday - Closed to the Public
Closed on Government Holidays


Types of Permits Issued:

 Regulated business permits for:

• Alcohol Sales Establishments:
      (restaurants, night clubs, package stores, etc.)

• Adult Entertainment Establishments:
      a) entertainers / dancers
      b) alcohol servers / bartenders
      c) all other employees

• Carnival Operators

• Escort / Dating

• Pawn Shops

• Precious Metal Dealers / Employees

• Door-to-Door Sales

• Vehicle-for-Hire

Required Identification:
There are NO exceptions  Copies are NOT accepted.
These are the ONLY pieces of identification that are accepted.

 First Time Applicants - you will need One Primary ID and One Secondary ID:

  Primary Identification:

  • Current Valid State Drivers License
• Current Valid State ID Card

  AND one of the following:

  Secondary Identification:

• U.S. Passport
• U.S. Military Card
• U.S. Birth Certificate
• Certificate of Naturalization
• Green Card / Employment Authorization Card

 Renewal ONLY - you will need one of the following:

• Current Valid State Drivers License
• Current Valid State ID Card

Fees: Please click on the link for a detailed list of the permit fees.

Payment Methods:
Please refer to the Frequently Asked Questions section for a detailed list of payment methods. Acceptable forms of payment vary depending on the type of license: Cash (for Permits $50 or less), money order, credit or debit card (Master Card/Visa) are accepted.

Firearm/Gun Permit Applicants:  (see Frequently Asked Questions)

Permit Application:

Individuals seeking permits must fill out one of the following DeKalb County Police Department Permits Unit Applications except those seeking firearm/gun permits.  Please click on Permits_Application.pdf or Canvassing_Other_Application for the appropriate document. Please submit your application to to book an appointment.

A Permits Application must be submitted 48 hours prior to your appointment. If your application has not been received your appointment will be cancelled.

NOTE:  All Firearm/Gun Permits must be applied for at the DeKalb County Probate Court prior to arriving at the Permit Office.  The Probate Application is located in Probate Court.

DeKalb County Probate Court
556 N. McDonough Street
Decatur, GA 30030   MAP
Phone:  (404) 371-2601

Taxi Inspections
Thursdays ONLY at 1:30 p.m.  Applicants must check in at the Permits Office before 11:00 a.m.

Taxi Permit Applicants:  (see Frequently Asked Questions)


 Brown & Brown Wrecker Service

3854 North Peachtree Road
Chamblee, GA 30341
(770) 457-3879

S&W Towing

2158 Tucker Industrial Road
Tucker, GA 30084
(770) 493-9083

 Cymill Towing & Recovery Service

5950 Covington Hwy.
Decatur, GA 30035
(770) 808-2653

 Hunt's Wrecker Service

154 Olive St.
Avondale Estates, GA
(404) 292-6697

 Statewide Wrecker Service

6995 Covington Hwy.
Lithonia, GA 30058
(770) 322-9688

 South DeKalb Transport & Storage

7043 Rogers Lake Road
Lithonia, GA 30058
(404) 508-0246

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q:  What is your location?

A:  3630 Camp Circle, Decatur, GA 30032 (Old Police Headquarters)
Exit 41 (Memorial Dr) off I-285, near the interstate in the "Bobby Burgess" building (the building with the police helicopters on top). MAP

Q:  Do you do fingerprinting?

A:  Yes.  We do fingerprinting for Firearm/Gun permits via the Live Scan system and manual ink fingerprints on cards for other miscellaneous reasons (employment purposes, job applications, private adoptions, etc.).  We do NOT do fingerprinting for U.S. Immigration or for items pertaining to the Department of Human Resources (Adult Care, Child Care, State Adoptions, etc.).  If you need manual ink prints on cards, you must supply your own cards.  You may call the Permits Unit with questions regarding fingerprinting.

Q:  Do I need an appointment for fingerprinting?

A:  No.  Firearm/Gun permit applicants must go to the DeKalb County Probate Court before you are fingerprinted.  For all manual ink prints, you must arrive at the Permits Office with your cards completed and checked-in before 3:00 p.m.

Q:  What do I need to get fingerprints for a gun permit?

A:  Photo Identification (driver’s license or U.S. passport), Probate Application and $5.00 cash.  U.S. citizens born abroad and applicants who are naturalized U.S. citizens must provide a U.S. passport or resident alien card, in addition to their driver’s license.

Q:  What do I need to get manual ink fingerprints done?

A:  Photo identification (driver’s license or U.S. passport) and fingerprint card(s) - you will need to supply the fingerprint card(s).  The charge is $5.00 per card.

Q:  How much do alcohol permits cost?

A:  $35.00

Q:  How do I pay for an alcohol permit?

A:  Cash, money order, debit/credit card (Master Card/Visa)

Q:  What do I need to get a dancer's permit?

A:  First time permits:  Two (2) forms of ID (Refer to Required Identification above) and $300.00
Renewals: One (1) form of ID (Refer to Required Identification above) and $300.00

Q:  How much does a dancer's permit cost?  What form of payment do you take?

A:  $300 payable by money order, cashier's check, or debit/credit card

Q:  Do you do criminal background checks?

A:  No.  Central Records located at Police Headquarters does criminal background checks.   MAP

Q:  What is the difference between a business license and an alcohol permit?

A:  A business license is obtained from the Business License Unit in Decatur for the start-up and duration of a business.  An alcohol permit is for persons working in an establishment serving alcohol and is obtained at the Permits Unit at 3630 Camp Circle, Decatur, GA 30032.   MAP

Q:  Where do I get a business license?

A:  At the Business and Alcohol Licensing office located at 330 W. Ponce de Leon Avenue, Decatur, GA 30030.   MAP

Q:  Do I need an alcohol permit for a private party?

A:  Permits are needed if alcohol is being sold at a private party; otherwise permits are not needed. For block parties - contact your police precinct commander.

Q:  Do I need a permit if I am a non-profit organization?

A:  Yes

Q:  How do I get a permit for a non-profit organization?

A:  A letter on letterhead signed by the organization's leader stating reason, purpose and location as well as a list of all participants involved.

Q:  What ID's are acceptable?

A:  Refer to Required Identification above.

Q:  What would prevent me from getting an alcohol permit?

A:  • Felony conviction within the last 10 years
• Felony probation within the last 5 years
• Misdemeanor conviction involving moral turpitude within the
   last 10 years
• 2nd DUI conviction within 5 years of first conviction
• under 18 years of age.

Q:  What is needed for a taxi driver's permit?

A:  • Current valid Georgia driver's license
• 7-year MVR (not more than 2 weeks old)
• Company affiliation letter
• Birth certificate or naturalization papers or green
   card/employment authorization card
• $100 money order/debit or credit card

Q:  When can I get a taxicab vehicle inspection?

A:  Taxi inspection are ONLY on Thursdays at 1:30 p.m.
You must check-in at the Permits Office before 11:00 a.m.