DeKalb County Beautification Unit
Code Enforcement * Keep DeKalb Beautiful * Roadside Enhancement
The purpose of an Abatement Program is to develop an efficient way to address abandoned or occupied properties in unincorporated DeKalb County that have been left to deteriorate and become eyesores in the community.
What is abatement?
The definition of abatement refers to the process of something ending or becoming less than it was at a prior time. The suppression or termination of a nuisance. The abatement program includes a process administrated by the Code Enforcement Unit to address blighted properties within unincorporated DeKalb County.
- To provide an enhanced customer service process.
- This process would lead the efforts in monitoring, processing, and facilitating the abatement of blighted properties within unincorporated DeKalb County.
- A complaint folder is created containing any code notices and citations against the property, a list of any improvements made and supporting documents.
- A statement is written containing the action sought by the county to abate or correct the alleged violation and the estimated cost of the corrective action.
- The officer ensures that proper paperwork is available for the legal process. During this time, the court may assess fines, order owners to abate the property to minimum specifications. The court may also order the County to abate the property at the public’s expense. The full costs of which shall constitute a lien against the property.
For questions about the abatement program, contact Senior Officer Jordan via email at email@example.com or via phone at 404.687.3958.