DeKalb County Beautification Unit
* CODE ENFORCEMENT * KEEP DEKALB BEAUTIFUL * ROADSIDE ENHANCEMENT * CLEAN COMMUNITIES CREW * FORECLOSURE AND VACANT REGISTRY *
Code Enforcement General Information
Code officers enforce codes/ordinances related to property maintenance, zoning, planning, special land use, signs and permits. Code Enforcement works closely with the Fire Marshal and Police Services.
- The Bureau of Code Compliance is responsible for the inspection and enforcement of residential and commercial properties that violate the DeKalb County code of ordinances.
- DeKalb County uses a criminal process and a civil process so that individuals no longer have to just be personally served. This has led to higher rate of convictions.
Properties are inspected for violations such as:
- unregistered and unlicensed motor vehicles
- high weeds and grass
- decayed/damaged leaking roofs
- open storage of trash and debris
- broken window glass; flaking/peeling paint
- units not supplied with water or adequate heat
- rodent infestation or unsanitary conditions
- overgrown, littered vacant lots
- junk/inoperable vehicles
- electrical hazards
- vacant and unsecured structures
- dangerous, uninhabitable and unfit buildings, and
- various other deficiencies which render properties substandard, or unsafe to its occupants or the general public
For a complete description of DeKalb County codes, please visit www.municode.com.