The application cycle for the Spring 2024 semester is now closed.
Please check back in March for Summer 2024 opportunities.
Forensic Anthropology Internship at DeKalb County Medical Examiner's Office
- Internship Requirements
- Able to commit a minimum of three days per week between 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM.
- Must complete a minimum of 200 hours over a 12-week period to qualify for course credit.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- A background check and drug screen will be required.
- Proof of Professional Liability Insurance is required.
- Applicant Criteria
- Candidates should be seeking an Anthropology degree, or a related field.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, a positive and open-minded attitude, and a strong work ethic.
- Ability to work in an agile, adaptable, and fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrate critical thinking, oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion and professionalism.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google Docs.
- Internship Goals and Objectives
- Gain an understanding of forensic anthropology.
- Observe and assist in medicolegal autopsies and skeletal remain cases.
- Research emerging forensic science issues as they relate to the comparative study in anthropology.
- Attend death scenes with medicolegal death investigators.
- Understand the statutory basis for medicolegal death investigation systems and the requirements to serve as a medical examiner or coroner (GA Code: 45-16-20).
- Tour anthropological research facilities.
- Engage with data entry, tracking, filing, and modeling to demonstrate the impact of specific causes of death.
- Provide quality assurance to maximize the effectiveness of the medicolegal death investigation case management system.
- How to Apply
- Complete and email the internship application along with a current curriculum vitae and unofficial transcript to Lauren Bucci at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The duration of the Fall 2023 internship is from August 22 to December 5, 2023.
- The application period for this cycle will open on June 26, 2023.