The application cycle for the Spring 2024 semester is now closed.
Please check back in March for Summer 2024 opportunities.
Public Health Internship at DeKalb County Medical Examiner's Office
- Internship Requirements
- Able to commit to three days per week between 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.
- Must complete a minimum of 200 hours over a 12-week period to qualify for course credit.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.25 or higher.
- A background check and drug screen may be required.
- Proof of Professional Liability Insurance is required.
- Applicant Criteria
- Candidates should be seeking a Master of Public Health or a related field.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, a positive attitude, and a strong work ethic.
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion and professionalism.
- Excellent organization and communication skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google Docs.
- Internship Objectives
- Researching emerging forensic science issues.
- Proposing strategies for improving public health outcomes.
- Assessing the effectiveness of public health programs and policies.
- Collecting data concerning infectious disease, overdose, child fatality, SUID, elder abuse, in-custody, and violent deaths for Department of Public Health and other agencies.
- Maximizing the effectiveness of the medicolegal death investigation database.
- Evaluating data qualitatively and quantitatively for future research.
- Engaging with data entry, tracking, filing, analysis, and modeling to demonstrate the impact of specific causes of death.
- Assisting with administrative responsibilities that improve the workflow of the office.
- How to Apply