Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Where does my water come from?

The Chattahoochee River is the drinking water for DeKalb County. The water is treated at the Scott Candler Water Filter Plant and then distributed to DeKalb County customers.


Where can I get information about the quality of my water?

The Safe Drinking Water Act requires public water systems to send annual water quality reports to all of their customers. The DeKalb County Department of Watershed Management supports this effort and each year publishes a water quality report known as the Consumer Confidence Report (CCR).


Who do I call with questions about my drinking water?

Scott Candler Lab at (770) 391-6047


How do I establish a new account? 

You can download a copy of the application for service by clicking on the "Application for Water/Sewer Service" link. Once you have completed the application, fax it to (404) 687-3504 OR Take the completed application, a copy of your social security card, driver's license or picture identification, and your lease or closing papers along with a non-refundable $20 application fee to the Revenue Collections/Water Billing Department. Office hours are Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m to 5:00 p.m. at 774 Jordan Lane, Suite 200, Decatur, GA 30033. For more information, please call (404) 378-4475.


When is my payment due?

Payment is due 20 days after the statement issuance date.  Payments received after the due date will incur a late fee.


How much is the late fee for payments received after the due date?

Payments received after the due date will incur a late fee of 10%.


Why is my meter not read at exactly 30 days?

To account for the normal business operations, a customer may expect to receive a bill five days before or after their billing cycle. There are many reasons that a customer may receive a bill for a period that is not exactly 30 days.  The variation in days incorporates holidays, weekends, cases of extreme weather events, and location accessibility.  When meter readers are ahead of schedule, they may conduct a meter reading prior to the exact monthly billing date.  Being ahead of schedule can result in fewer days in a reading period.


My bill shows that it is “Estimated”, what does this mean?

DeKalb County works hard to obtain an accurate reading from water meters each billing period. On occasion, it may not be able to obtain an actual reading. This may occur when the meter is inaccessible or the reading obtained appears unusually high or low. In such cases, the customer’s consumption for the billing period is estimated using the customer's past pattern of consumption at the service location.

  • If available, the reading from the same time period during the previous year is utilized.
  • If the account has less than a year’s worth of history, the most recent actual (not estimated) reading is used.
  • For new accounts with no billing history, an amount of 7,000 gallons is used.

When an accurate meter reading is obtained following a period that has been estimated, the billing department makes any necessary adjustments based on actual consumption on the next bill. For further questions, please contact (404) 378-4475.


Who do I contact concerning problems with my water bill?

For all account and billing questions, call the Finance Department's Water and Sewer Billing Customer Service at (404) 378-4475.


I received a notice for disconnection.  What is the timeline for disconnection?

Service will be disconnected if payment is not received within 10 days of the disconnection notice date.  Customer accounts may be eligible for an installment plan.  For more information, please call (404) 378-4475.


Why has my water been turned off?

There may be several reasons why your water has been turned off. For more information, please call (404) 378-4475.

If your water pressure suddenly drops to nothing or to a small trickle, the cause is likely a broken water main. Contact the emergency service number at (770) 270-6243. This number is answered 24 hours a day, seven days a week.


How do I dispute my bill after I have contacted Customer Service at (404) 378-4475?

 Click HERE.


How do I know if I am under watering restrictions? How can I conserve water?

The State of Georgia has permanent watering restrictions. There are several sources available to inform residents of the restrictions, including this website, the Department of Natural Resources website and local newspapers and news stations. Water conservation tips are provided on our water conservation tips web page and from the American Water Works Association.


Why is there construction and/or repair activities in my neighborhood?

To obtain construction and maintenance information, please call (770) 621-7200.


Why is my water pressure low?

If your water pressure suddenly drops to nothing or to a small trickle, the cause is likely a broken water main. Call the emergency service number 24 hours a day, seven days a week at (770) 270-6243.

If you have been experiencing low water pressure on an ongoing basis, check to see if the low pressure only occurs in certain parts of the house or only from the hot or cold water tap. If the answer is yes to either of these, this would indicate a problem with your home's interior plumbing. You may need to contact a plumber.

If the low pressure is noticeable throughout the entire house and tends to drop when more than one faucet is being used, further investigation is needed. Call (770) 270-6243 to report these problems. This number is answered 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Another cause of low water pressure is high demand during periods of low supply.


Who do I call for emergency repairs?

For 24-hour emergency repairs, please call (770) 270-6243.


Who do I call for other repairs, such as leaky pipes, standing water or running water?

For problems with pipes from your water meter to your house or with your interior plumbing, contact a plumber. For problems with pipes from the water meter to the street, please call (770) 270-6243. This number is answered 24 hours a day, seven days a week.


What is a sewer/wastewater backflow prevention device? Why is one needed?

For potable water (a.k.a. drinking water) backflow prevention, please see

A backflow prevention device attaches to the outside sewer service line of a home or business to prevent sewage from entering the building when a blockage occurs.


What is a sewer/wastewater backflow and how does it occur?

A backflow is the result of a blockage in the sanitary sewer system. Sewage rises through a manhole and overflows to the surrounding area. If the plumbing in your home or business is below the level of the overflowing manhole, the sewage can enter your home or business through your lowest plumbing drains.


Do all buildings need this device?

No, if your home or business has a septic system, is above street level, or if there is no drain below street level then this device is not necessary.


Am I required to have a sewer/wastewater backflow prevention device?

If your home or business is on the sewer line and it sits below street level or if the lowest drain in the building is below street level, a backflow prevention device is required by DeKalb County code.


Will the county install this device?

No, although the DeKalb County code requires this device to protect home and business owners, it is the property owner's responsibility to have one installed. The Georgia State Supreme Court has ruled that a county government may not perform work on a private plumbing system. A plumber can assist you in selecting the best device and install it for you.


Will my insurance cover any damage to my home if a sewer/wastewater backflow occurs?

You should check with your insurance company to be certain. You may need to purchase special homeowner's insurance to cover potential damage caused by a backflow.